The Balochistan Point is an online English newspaper from Balochistan, launched on October 16, 2010. The Balochistan Point is an online newspaper and works without any bias towards any race, religion or political ideology. The core values of The Balochistan Point shape up an independent editorial policy for the newspaper. We at The Balochistan Point believe on Objective Journalism and avoid any news item based upon allegation or speculations. Due to our indefatigable effort to disseminate the important and correct news about Balochistan, we aim to be the voice of the nation.
The electronic and print media of Pakistan in general and of Balochistan in particular has failed to highlight the most important issues of Balochistan. Therefore, there is a stronger need than ever for an alternative platform to report the ignored issues about Balochistan. Since, online journalism is economical; we have launched The Balochistan Point to be one such alternative platform.
We stand for human rights, democracy, social and economic justice. The newspaper aims to mirror Balochistan. The volunteers of The Balochistan Point launched it to keep reporting on human rights abuse, political, social and economic issues of Balochistan. Our center of focus is Balochistan but we are not limited to it. We also report on important issues at national level that has implications for the Balochistan province and its people.
The Balochistan Point is an equal Opportunity newspaper. We provide equal coverage to all stakeholders in Balochistan and believe in freedom of press and media. The Balochistan Point encourages young writers and journalists to join online journalism. Therefore, the doors of The Balochistan Point are always open for the aspiring writers from across Pakistan.
The Balochistan Point is the Publishing partner of Global Voices in Balochistan. News Stories of The Balochistan Point are regularly published in Global Voices.
Since its inception in October 2010, Balochistan Point has made a difference though the news stories and opinion articles that have been published in it.
- On 29th June 2014, we published an article titled “Controversial Arsalan Iftikhar.” It was about unfair appointment of Arsalan Iftikhar, Son of former Chief Justice, as Vice-chairman Board of investment Balochistan. This article brought this issue I limelight after which it was picked up by national media and Arsalan Iftikhar had to resign.
- On 14th January 2015, we published an investigative report on basic errors in publications of chief Ministers Policy reforms Unit (CMPRU). It was the first and only effort by any media outlet to pinpoint these errors. CMPRU promised to rectify the errors in their next issue.
- On 12th May 2015, we published a story about how PIA was discriminating passengers in Balochistan. After our story was published the issue was brought to the attention of media. Balochistan assembly passed a resolution asking PIA to stop discriminating with people of Balochistan.
- On 11th July 2015, we published a news story about three school buses donated by China that were stranded in Gwadar port due to non-payment of customs dues by Balochistan government. After our story was published, Balochistan government paid the custom dues and buses were released by customs and handed over to schools.
- On 26th July, We published a news story about bad governance and shortage of doctors in DHQ hospital Gwadar. As a result 11 doctors were transferred to DHQ hospital Gwadar by health department of Balochistan.
We don’t claim exclusive credit in aforementioned success stories but we did play a major role in each one of them.