QUETTA: Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch had pledged complete transparency in distribution of relief items among the earthquake-affected people of Awaran and other districts.
Briefing members of the provincial Assembly on Thursday, he said that officials had been clearly told about intentions of the government that it would not tolerate any pilferage of relief goods and supplies.
“If anyone is found stealing relief goods and supplies, he will be charged under the Anti-Terrorism Act with speedy trial ensuring their conviction from courts of law,” the chief minister told the Balochistan Assembly.
He said that he would soon form a parliamentary committee to oversee the relief operations. He said opposition parties will also be given representation in the parliamentary committee.
He said that the government was making efforts to provide relief goods to each and every individual in all parts of the devastated regions.
Dr Malik said he himself and a number of secretaries of provincial departments were present in Awaran, formulating a policy and coordinating the relief operations. He said that chief ministers of Sindh and Punjab and the interior minister had paid a visit to the quake-affected region, adding that a delegation from Azad Kashmir had also met him and donated Rs 400 million for the affected people.
The Punjab PDMA director general also paid a visit to the quake-affected areas and offered more help and assistance to the government of Balochistan. The chief minister said the government of Punjab had provided a helicopter which is engaged in relief operations. He praised the courage of Mir Qudus Bizenjo, saying that he remained present in Awaran. He also said that property tycoon Malik Riaz had offered a cash donation of Rs 200,000 for each affected family.
The chief minister informed the members that following the earthquake, the Frontier Corps and the contingents of the army started rescue and relief operations. Referring to the patients referred to Karachi for better treatment, Dr Malik told the members that Mir Tahir Bizenjo and Dr Hussain are taking care of those injured in Karachi as Mr Bizenjo was officially appointed the focal person. He said that the government would welcome legitimate criticism from the media. PDMA Director General Hafiz Basit said 371 people lost their lives and 765 injured in the earthquake. In all 37,000 families or 185,000 people were affected in the earthquake, he added.
He said 14,922 packets of food and ration, 13,105 tents, 6625 blankets and 3,000 mats had been distributed among the quake-affected people. More than 111 trucks with relief goods reached the affected areas from Karachi and Quetta. (From Daily Times)
Published In The Balochistan Point on October 4, 2013