QUETTA: Chief Minister Balochistan, Nawab Sanaullah Khan Zehri has said that government was standing with its people in any difficult time and would utilize all available resources for the restoration of families affected by torrential rains. “PDMA and local administration should ensure timely provision of relief to affectees,” he directed.
He was addressing to a high level meeting held to review the damages caused by recent monsoon rains and ongoing relief activities. Provincial Home Minister Mir Sarfiraz Bugti, Chief Secretary Balochistan Aurangzaib Haq, ACS (Development) DG PDMA and other concerned officials attended the meeting.
Briefing the meeting, Director PDMA Attaullah Mengal said that in view of recent monsoon spell over 20 districts of Balochistan had been declared as vulnerable while so far 24 deaths were reported in rain related incidents from Lasbela, Zhob, Wadh and Sibi.
He said that teams and relief goods were dispatched to the affected areas, and the new spell of rains started from July 15 would continue for another week. PDMA official said that in accordance with the instructions of chief minister PDMA and local administrations are on high alert to cope with any emergent situation. However, so far there was no threat of flood from any part of Balochistan. He stressed for early issuance of funds for purchasing tents and other food items, besides a simple and uncomplicated procedure may be adopted to provide compensation to the heirs of deceased families.
Chief Minister directed authorities concerned for adopting a straightforward procedure for provision of compensation money so that the families of deceased persons could be assisted timely. He also directed for early repair of bridge damaged due to floods on Karachi-Quetta national highway.
The meeting expressed grief and sorrow over the losses of precious lives and property in recent floods and rains, and prayed for departed souls.
Published in The Balochistan Point on July 18, 2017