Latest News

News

Man killed in landmine blast

NASEERABAD: A man died after accidentally stepping on a roadside landmine in Naseerabad district of Balochistan on Thursday. According to police, the passer-by, yet to be identified, became a victim of a landmine in Khalani area. The body was shifted to a nearby hospital for medico-legal formalities. inp

Read More »

Two injured in attack on NATO containers

  MASTUNG:  At least two people received bullet wounds in an attack on NATO containers in the Dasht area of Balochistan on Thursday. Levies sources said that unidentified armed motorcyclists opened indiscriminate fire on two containers passing through the area, injuring the drivers and setting ablaze the trucks. The attackers managed to escape from the scene. A rescue team rushed ...

Read More »

Balochistan Assembly approves budget for next fiscal year

  QUETTA: The Balochistan Assembly unanimously approved the provincial budget for fiscal year 2013-14 here on Thursday. The session was chaired by speaker Balochistan Assembly, Mir Jan Mohammad Jamali. Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch had tabled deficit budget for 2013-14 on June 20. Dr Baloch moved a total of 51 demands for grants, including 42 pertaining to non-development ...

Read More »

Bangladeshi jailed for Facebook death threat to PM

DHAKA: A Bangladeshi university lecturer was sentenced to jail in absentia on Thursday for threatening to kill Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and defaming her on Facebook, a prosecutor said. A court sentenced Hafizur Rahman Rana, a lecturer at a prestigious university, to seven years in jail for posting the comments last April during a protest on campus, prosecutor Tapash Kumar ...

Read More »

Eight preachers abducted in Awaran

Awaran: Eight workers of preaching party abducted from Mosque in Tehsil Jhao Tuseday-Wednesday night.  According to the eye witnesses, unidentified   armed men surrounded mosque and kidnapped eight persons who were on mission of preaching Islamic values and teachings. The victims belonged  to Peshawar and Bannu, who had arrived Telar Jhao area of Tehsil Jaho some 80 Km from district Awaran ...

Read More »

Shutter down strike against murder of Bugti tribesmen

Hasrat Iqbal Baloch Quetta: On 26 June, a complete shutter down was observed throughout Balochistan against enforced disappearance of seven young Bugti tribesmen allegedly   picked up by security forces and later on their dead bodies were recovered. The Baloch nationalist and pro-freedom party Baloch Republican Party B.R.P being led by Bramdagh Bugti had given call for shutter down against their murder. ...

Read More »

Fact-finding: Jahangir calls for paradigm shift in Balochistan

By Mohammad Zafar QUETTA: Amidst rampant allegations of extrajudicial killings and unabated militant violence in Balochistan, famed rights campaigner Asma Jahangir has appealed to the security and intelligence agencies to work within the ambit of the Constitution. “The government will have to avoid a pro-security policy, and formulate pro-peoples policies,” Jahangir, the former president of the Supreme Court Bar Association, told a ...

Read More »

Bolan Medical Complex Hospital re-opens today

By: Farah Jamil, QUETTA:  Bolan Medical Complex was reopened on Tuesday, 10 days after a terrorists attack on the medical facility and a suicide blast in a university bus, killing over 25 people in the violence-ravaged capital of Balochistan, media reported. Amid tight security in the hospital, doctors started their services today as long queues were witnessed at OPDs. Three nurses, ...

Read More »

US aims to salvage Afghan peace talks with trip to Hamid Karzai

By Ben Farmer, Doha James Dobbins was expected at the Afghan president’s palace after flying from Qatar, with the US still trying to soothe Afghan anger over last week’s opening of a Taliban political office in the Gulf state. The veteran diplomat, who is Washington’s special envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, must also revive long-running security talks with Kabul after they were cancelled by ...

Read More »

US and Afghanistan reaffirm commitment to Taliban talks

By Reuters A White House statement said Mr Obama and Mr Karzai held a video conference call in which they also talked about US and Afghan plans for the handover of security to Afghan forces as US troops seek to exit by the end of 2014. A brazen assault by Taliban militants on Tuesday cast doubt on attempts at peace talks. ...

Read More »